Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Good Things in Life...

This past weekend I finished up moving out of my 5th apartment...hopefully the last apartment I ever have to live in. I moved home with my parents for the last 2 1/2 months before the wedding...hopefully the last time I ever have to move home. 
When Joe moved out of his apartment last year he put all of his things in a unit at Public Storage. So when it was time for me to move out we considered just getting another unit or upgrading to a bigger one...because we have a lot of stuff. But eventually it came down to a time crunch and we just decided to cram it all into his. We made multiple trips, spreading out the move over 2 1/2 weeks or so. Every time we took more stuff we commented on how much was in there. (This would be a good place to add a picture of the crammed storage unit, but I just couldn't bring myself to show the ridiculousness of it).
This last load that we brought really just put the icing on the "this is ridiculous" cake. I took a step back looking at the packed storage unit thinking..."how in the world do two people who aren't even married yet have all this stuff." I'd go back in forth in my brain thinking, "well we're blessed to have so many things, think of all the stuff we don't have to buy after moving in together" or "wow, I feel sick to my stomach that we have all this and a lot of people have nothing." And now we've registered at 3 stores so that people can buy us more things for our wedding! Yikes!
Granted, I'm 28 so it's not like I'm right out of college with nothing to furnish a house. I've lived on my own now for what, 7 years? So...of course I'm gonna have stuff. And Joe and I truly have been blessed with a lot of hand me downs. But I just couldn't help but reflect on what's important. 

Somebody had posted this picture on Pinterest today and I just thought the timing was perfect. 


Lord help me remember that I cannot take things to Heaven and that the good things in life...are not things.
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment